- BS, Computer Science, North Carolina State University, 1979
- MS, Computer Studies, North Carolina State University, 1983
Areas of Interest
- Freeform Optics Fabrication and Metrology
- Mass Spectrometry Imaging
- Data Acquisition and Statistical Analysis
- High Performance Control Systems Integration
- Hard Real-time Systems
As a full-time researcher at the Precision Engineering Center, Mr. Garrard’s interests and duties have included the development of high performance control systems for ultra-precision machines and software for custom, multiprocessor computer systems. He participated in the development of the original PEC fast tool servo as well as three other fast tool servo systems that have been delivered to commercial and government sponsors. Two of these systems were built specifically for machining of off-axis segments of conic surfaces of revolution and another was used for the fabrication of inertial confinement fusion targets. He has performed numerous prototype fabrication projects that required unique machine configurations and controller software, for example, a pair of large aperture beam compressor telescopes for the NASA BETTII project. He is also co-inventor of the spherical coordinate measurement machine, Polaris3D, and was the developer of algorithms for its control and for the analysis of measurement data.
Since 2012 he has collaborated with the FTMS Laboratory for Human Health Research to assist with implementation of stage control, vision-based region of interest selection, laser optics and instrument synchronization for IR-MALDESI imaging. This led to the development of the open-source MSiReader software package for analysis and visualization of large Mass Spectrometry Imaging data sets. He is also the author of the GlycoHunter software for the detection and quantification of N-linked Glycans.
Mr. Garrard also has a long standing interest in the analysis of scientific data, computational geometry, signal processing, programming language structures, sorting and searching algorithms, multiprocessor computer architecture and the design and implementation of hard real-time systems. He is a regular contributor to the Mathworks user community web site.
- J. Kalmar, K. Garrard, D. Muddiman. GlycoHunter: An open-source software for the detection and relative quantification of INLIGHT-labeled N-linked glycans. Journal of Proteome Research, (2021). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jproteome.0c00840.
- K. Garrard, M. Ekelöf, S. Khodjaniyazova, M. Bagley, D. Muddiman. A Versatile Platform for Mass Spectrometry Imaging of Arbitrary Spatial Patterns. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 31(12), 2547-2552 (2020).
- M. Ekelöf, J. Dodds, S. Khodjaniyazova, K. Garrard, E. Baker, D. Muddiman. Coupling IR-MALDESI with drift tube ion mobility-mass spectrometry for high-throughput screening and imaging applications. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 31(3), 642-650 (2020).
- H. Bai, S. Khodjaniyazova, K. Garrard, D. Muddiman. Three-dimensional imaging with infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 31(2), 292-297 (2020).
- M. Ekelöf, K. Garrard, R. Judd, E. Rosen, D. Xie, A. Kashuba, D. Muddiman. Evaluation of Digital Image Recognition Methods for Mass Spectrometry Imaging Data Analysis. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 29 (12), 2467-2470 (2019).
- S. Sultana, S. Gunning, S. Furst, K. Garrard, T. Dow, N. Vinueza. Direct Analysis of textile dyes from trace fibers by automated microfluidics extraction system coupled with Q-TOF mass spectrometer for forensic applications. Forensic Science International, 289, 67-74 (2018).
- S. Khodjaniyazova, M. Nazari, K. Garrard, M. Matos, G. Jackson, and D. Muddiman. Characterization of the Spectral Accuracy of an Orbitrap Mass Analyzer Using Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry, 90(3), 1897-1906 (2018).
- M. Bokhart, M. Narzari, K. Garrard, D. Muddiman. MSiReader v1.0: evolving open-source mass spectrometry imaging software for targeted and untargeted analyses. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 29 (1), 8-16 (2018).
- M. Bokhart, J. Manni, K. Garrard, M. Ekelof, M. Nazari, D. Muddiman. IR-MALDESI mass spectrometry imaging at 50 micron spatial resolution. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 28 (10), 2099-2107 (2017).
- Furst, T. Dow, K. Garrard, A. Sohn, D. Fixsen, S. Rinehart, E. Mentzell, T. Veach, M. Rizzo, A. Dhabal. Design and validation of the mounting structure for BETTII balloon-based telescope with thin-walled optics. Journal of Astronomical Telescopes, Instruments and Systems, 2 (2), (2016).
- Meier, K.P. Garrard, D.C. Muddiman. Silver dopants for targeted and untargeted direct analysis of unsaturated lipids via infrared matrix-assisted laser desportion electrospray ionization (IR-MALDESI). Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, (28), 2461-2470 (2014).
- Robichaud, J.A. Barry, K.P. Garrard, D.C. Muddiman. Infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization (IR-MALDESI) imaging source coupled to a FT-ICR mass spectrometer. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 24 (1), 92-100 (2013).
- Robichaud, K.P. Garrard, J.A. Barry, D.C. Muddiman. MSiReader: an open-source interface to view and analyze high resolving power MS imaging files on Matlab platform. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 24 (5), 718-721 (2013).
- Furst, T. Dow, K. Garrard, and A. Sohn. Automated Part Centering With Impulse Actuation. J. Manuf. Sci. Eng. 132, 11007 (2010).
- Garrard, T. Bruegge, J. Hoffman, T. Dow and A. Sohn. Design tools for freeform optics. Proceedings of the SPIE, 5874, 95-105, (2005).
- M.M. Balkey, R.D. Day, S.H. Batha, N.E. Elliot, T. Pierce, D.L. Sandoval, K.P. Garrard and A. Sohn. Production and metrology of cylindrical inertial confinement fusion targets with sinusoidal perturbations. Fusion Science and Technology, 45, 2, (2004).
- T.A. Dow, E.L. Miller and K.P. Garrard. Tool force and deflection compensation for small milling tools. Precision Engineering, 28, 1, 31-45, (2004).
- R.G. Ohl, W. Preuss, A. Sohn, S. Conkey, K. Garrard, J.G. Hagopian, J.M. Howard, J.E. Hylan, S.M. Irish, J.E. Mentzell, M. Schroeder, L.M. Sparr, R.S. Winsor, S.W. Zewari, M.A. Greenhouse, and J.W. MacKenty. Design and fabrication of diamond machined, aspheric mirrors for ground-based, near-IR astronomy. Proceedings of the SPIE, 4841, 677-688 (2003).
- B.H. Jared, T.A. Dow, K.P. Garrard, G.M. Moorefield, C. Barnes, R.D. Day, D.J. Hatch, L.J. Salzer and G. Rivera. Fabrication of hydrodynamic instability targets. Fusion Technology, 31, 501-503, (1997).
- M.H. Miller, K.P. Garrard, T.A. Dow and L.W. Taylor. A controller architecture for integrating a fast tool servo into a diamond turning machine. Precision Engineering, 16(1), 42-48, (1994).
- W.D. Allen, R.J. Fornaro, K.P. Garrard and L.W. Taylor. A high performance embedded machine tool controller. Microprocessors and Microprogramming, 40, 179-191, (1994).
- K.P. Garrard and K.C. Tai. Comments on the suggested implementation of tasking facilities in the “Rationale for the Design of the ADA Programming Language”. ACM SIGPLAN Notices, 5(10), 76-84, (1980).
- United States Patent 20140202018 A1.
Transducer-actuator systems and methods for performing on-machine measurements and automatic part alignment, July 24, 2014.
- United States Patent No. 6,895,682.
Polar coordinate-based profilometer and methods, May 24, 2005.
- United States Patent No. 5,467,675.
Apparatus and method for forming a workpiece surface into a non-rotationally symmetric shape, November 21, 1995.
Resume (current as of 2021.02.10)
||Room 109, Research Building 1, Centennial Campus
||Please contact via email